Monday, September 15, 2008

Our trip to the Northwest

We got home from Ohio on Sunday and started our drive to Oregon on Monday. We drove all day and when we were too tired to drive anymore we pulled over at a rest stop and slept in the back of the car. It was a bit of a tight fit but more comfortable than I thought it would be. In the morning we got up and drove to a fish hatchery. We watched them count the fish. It was more entertaining than I thought it would be.


Then we went to Multnomah Falls. It was gorgeous. We hiked up to the bridge and then we ate at a restaurant right next to the falls. I would recommend if anyone is ever driving by to stop and take a look. It reall is worth seeing.
Then we drove through Portland to the coast. We stayed in a hotel in Lincoln city right on the beach we slept with the patio door open all night so we could hear the ocean. It is so calming. After we checked into the hotel we went for a drive and found this cute little community that was a lot like daybreak only it was on the beach and they had huge pine trees everywhere.

The next day we drove up the coast a ways to Cape Lookout state park. The trees were so thick we had to turn on our light. The campground we stayed at was nice and I loved the beach.
We stayed in a yurt and if you don't know what a yurt is don't feel bad because I didn't know either. It doesn't have a bathroom but it does have heat, light, and a door that locks.
After we set up camp we went to the Tillamook cheese factory. I have never seen so much cheese in my life. While we were there we ate grilled cheese sandwiches and bought some cheese to take with us. When we got back we took a nap on the beach and I loved it. We walked up and down the shore looking for sea shells. Later we made a fire (of course it is Spencer) and had more grilled cheese sandwiches. After dinner we went and watched the sun set on the ocean. It was so romantic.
The next day we went to Seattle. It was not too long of a drive. When we got there only one hotel was in our price range and they only had one room left. It was a really nice hotel I am bummed I didn't take any pictures. The breakfast was nice food and at 4:30 they served wine, coffee, and orderves. The hotel had two swimming pools, two saunas, a sport court and a library. Whenever we went anywhere in the hotel I felt like I didn't belong because everything was so fancy.

That night we walked around downtown. We went to Pikes Market Place and then we found a bench and sat and looked out over the harbor while eating fresh made donuts and lemonade made from real lemons.
The next day we walked a ton. We walked from our hotel to the Space needle. The city looked so big from up there. I was surprised at how big Seattle is. Then we took the train as far as it would go which was not very far at all and walked to Pikes Market Place again. We wanted to go on a fairy ride but we just missed it so instead we went on a sail boat (it was much more fun anyways). We saw a jelly fish and two seals. I wanted to get a picture of a seal but by the time I could get the camera ready they would be gone.
After the sail boat we walked to the other side of downtown to go see the underground tour. We were in line to get tickets when we decided we didn't want to go. The tickets were pricey and the tour was 90 minute of walking. I really didn't think my feet could handle it so we walked back to the hotel. We started to get bored so we walked to the movie theater to see what was playing. We didn't like was there was so we left and found somewhere to eat.

The next day was the day of the big game so we packed up and headed out. The game was way fun and I could not believe BYU won by one point by blocking the POT. (I don't have any pictures because I forgot the camera in the car) When the game ended we drove around for a while trying to find something to eat and then after we ate we started the journey back to Salt Lake.

We drove until about midnight and we pulled over at a rest stop. It had nice soft green grass so we thought it would be a good idea to sleep on the grass. At about 2:00 the sprinklers came on and got us all wet. We packed everything up and went to the next rest stop. The grass there was dead so we figured we were safe. We woke up and drove the rest of the way home the next day.

While all this was great fun and I would do it all again it did take a toll on my body. When I got back my mom said if anyone bumped me I would pop because I look so swollen. I took a picture of my feet to show how swollen I was (I was too embarrassed to take a picture of my face).



No comments: