Tuesday, July 22, 2008





Spencer here. I went backpacking to Lone Peak two weekends ago with the Jacobs, Todd, Corey, and Lindsay.
I have postponed posting about this experience because of the trauma I have had from it.

We started Friday Afternoon in the blazing sun. Halfway up "Jacobs Latter" my right heel started to rub raw from my shoe. I finally cut the back of my shoes out because my heels were in so much pain I couldn't go any further. You can see the bandages but I saved you from seeing how gross and painful my heels were.

Because of my Graves disease my heart races at about 100-120 beats per minute when resting. My body was already using up oxygen quikly so it got way worse once we got to 10,000-11,000 feet. The air was thin and my body needed oxygen! I could only go about 10 yards and I would have to rest for 5 minutes then go another 10 yards. HORRIBLE.

We finally got to camp right before it was dark. We were all defeated physically and mentally. I thought we were all going to cry! Because of the thin air and my Graves disease my heart was racing! And I was real jittery. I only slept for about 1 -2 hours!

I need to redeem myself so I think I'll go again next year.

2 comments:

Jennifer Phillips said...

I think you are crazy, what if you pass out?? How will you get down that stinkin mountain. You can use your disease as an excuse not to go, that's awesome!! Plus your poor feet, if you do go next time you'll need super soft shoes and maybe would an inhaler help?

Stacy said...

How's Mr. Flintstone doing? Sorry about the foot files...I really didn't know that you ran around w/out shoes;) Let's play soon!