Monday, March 30, 2009

Winter Health


Spencer here. I love health (probably because I've had such bad health lately) Having poor health the last 3 years has helped me appreciate good health. I love to read and learn about health topics, especially natural health.
I believe God has given us all we need for good health from the earth. Good eating and exercising habits can make us healthy. I also believe that God inspires new man made medicines and I do use them when I have to, but I try to use them as a last resort. In addition to talking about my family and politics I would like to post different health related topics. There will probably be many supplement related post. So here is the first.


Colds and Flu go around so fast and frequently in the winter. Most people will take a vitamin C pill or go straight to the over the counter meds that will just help ease the symptoms. New research is showing that high doses of Vitamin D3 will do more than an annual flu shot to stop colds and flu. Here is a good link to some information to a website dedicated only to vitamin D: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/ Vitamin D is so important it is the only Vitamin added by law(by law is another post for another day. Stay out of lives huh?) to milk. Why do we get a lot fewer colds and flu in the summer? We get vitamin D from exposure to the sun. But people who live in climates where winter is very dark and live in higher latitudes get less sun exposure, especially in the winter. A person gets about 20,000 IU in about 20 minutes of sunshine. That is about 5,000% more than the USDA recommends we need. But I believe mother nature knows best. Of course moderation in all things. Too much sun exposure can lead to melanoma, a deadly type of skin cancer.

My endocrinologist prescribed a super high dose of 50,000iu a day. The recommended daily intake according to the U.S is 400iu. But most experts on Vitamin D believe it should be 2,000 to 5,000 a day which is 500-1000% daily value. Obviously the recommended daily intake needs to be updated.

Vitamin D Benefits

Vitamin D seems to protect against cancers including breast, colon, kidney, and ovarian cancers. Studies have also linked vitamin D or sun exposure to benefits in overall mortality, prostate cancer, multiple sclerosis, bone health, as well as the occurrence of cardiovascular events in hypertensive patients.

No comments: